Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Found in Books, Vol. 1

One of my favorite things about buying used books is when you come across surprises left inside by the previous owner, like an inscription or a little scrap of paper or forgotten note stuck between the pages. I've shared some of my discoveries in the past--like this dedication from an author and this secret message in a library book--and now I've decided that I will start to chronicle them more formally here in a little "Found in Books" series. My latest find was a piece of notepaper tucked into a used copy of Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson.

One side lists items needed for some type of DIY sculpture project. The crafter jotted down ideas for blocks that included: "Play Doh or clay which is built up, squeezed, dried, fired; Marble--stone cut down; Wood-shaped; Bronze" and a list of supplies that included synthetic wax, paraffin wax, and beeswax.


On the flip side is what appears to be a draft of a birthday poem that reads as follows:

"We are all so happy you're still alive
Now you've reached the age of 85.
[two lines that I can't decipher]
This will be a gala year
New hip to swing
So you will walk
You'll meet more people
To talk & talk.
No longer you'll need the arm of Frank
And your pony will be your own shank.
You're going to have some much fun
When down to the beach you'll run & run."



This may very well be the only ode to a hip replacement ever written. I'm left with so many questions after reading it. Was the hip replacement a success? Did the birthday person make it to the beach that year? And, more importantly, what became of Frank once his arm was no longer needed?

What's the most interesting thing you've ever found in a book?

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting find! I can't recall finding anything much in used books or library books I've read. Maybe a ticket stub or something but that's it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails