Friday, May 10, 2013

Friday Fancies- Gatsby Edition

Gatsby fever seems to have erupted this week, all leading up to today's movie opening. Are you going to see it? I will, although I might not necessarily rush out this weekend. Although I liked what Baz Luhrmann did in Romeo & Juliet and Moulin Rouge, I've been feeling a bit uncertain about the Gatsby trailers I've seen so far, but I've come to the realization that my favorite things about the book, like the language and Fitzgerald's sense of nostalgia, would be nearly impossible to capture in any film version. If I try to remember that I just might be able to approach the movie with a more open mind without automatically drawing comparisons to the book.

(image via here)

In case you missed anything, here are some highlights from the recent Fitzgerald frenzy:

In 1925, the New Yorker ran a series of "Suggested Bookplates". Here's the one they came up with for Fitzgerald.


If you really want to get in the spirit, you can add some art deco touches to your home and wardrobe.

In the interest of being a fair and balanced blog, here's a critique of Gatsby for those of you who might be on the other side of the fence.

And if you're still looking for more, check out this roundup of all things Gatsby.

For one more last minute addition, here's a hidden image in the iconic Gatsby cover. Hope I'm not the only one who had never noticed that before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails