Wednesday, March 7, 2012

PB&B Muffins

When I was at the library the other day, a cookbook called Favorite Food at Home caught my eye. It was on a display of Irish themed books, but what I found inside was nothing like the potato stews and soda breads that I traditionally think of as Irish cuisine. Instead, the author, Rachel Allen, seems to be a little bit like Ireland's version of Ina Garten and uses simple ingredients to put fresh twists on classic comfort foods and family favorites. One of the most unique recipes was for peanut butter and banana muffins.

Now, I know that peanut butter and banana is a classic flavor combination, but it's one that I tend to avoid. I think my mild aversion stems from a good five or six year period, spanning middle and high school, when a peanut butter and banana sandwich was what I brought for lunch every single day. That's all gone out the window after making these muffins. The flavors are subtle, with a nice sweetness from the bananas and a slight crunch that comes from using chunky peanut butter and adding in some oats.


Not only have I had a reason to look forward to breakfast every day this week, but now I have a new cookbook author to investigate.

2 comments:

  1. you had me at "peanut butter"! I must try these...they sound like the perfect breakfast food:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails