Thursday, February 9, 2012

Glaciers

I just read the loveliest debut novel, Glaciers by Alexis M. Smith. Short and with ample margins, it's really more of a novella that can be read cover to cover in one sitting, a reading experience I'd highly recommend.

Covering the span of a single day in the life of Isobel, a twenty-something librarian with a penchant for all things vintage, the story weaves scenes of her past childhood in rural Alaska and glimpses of her hopes for the future with the action of the present, in which her daily routine is punctuated by a bittersweet romantic encounter and culminates in a dreamy, melancholy party she attends with her best friend. The writing is spare, the themes wistful, the characters realistic, and the story memorable.

I originally checked this book out of the library, but just ordered myself a copy to own. That's how much I liked it.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds great. Normally I don't go for novellas, but you convinced me! Adding this to my list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto the above! Sounds like a great way to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks excellent! You know you love a book when you have to buy your own copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that's high praise from someone who reads a lot. i'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails