Monday, April 12, 2010

An April Shower

I just spent a very fun weekend in Boston celebrating my friend's wedding shower. As a pre-shower activity, the bridal party went to 1154 Lill Studio.

Tucked into one of the brownstones on Newbury St., Lill is an adorable handbag shop that lets you design your own purse.

You pick the style of bag that you want, then pick the fabrics for the outside, inside, pockets, etc. The store is lined with racks of samples of inspiration.

All of the choices were pretty overwhelming. Our work table ended up buried in fabric samples by the end of our session.

I decided that I would design a large tote that I could take to work everyday (in spite of some debate as to its resemblance to a diaper bag). Then I found out that that style was unavailable and was thrown into an utter tailspin of confusion. I ended up picking a clutch instead. I really loved the shape and it's not like anything I already have, but I probably wouldn't have let myself pick it if the practical diaper-esque bag was still an option. So all in all, the initial disappointment was a blessing in disguise. The top clutch shows what a finished one looks like. The bottom one is covered with the fabrics I chose for mine. I felt a little bit like I was on Mad Men when I was holding it. Not Joan or Betty, just one of the background secretaries. But still.

The clutch is being made as we speak. I'll post a picture when I get it next month. In the meantime, here's a self-portrait, for no other reason than I'm feeling like showing off one of my Liberty dresses.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails