Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Books, Read and Released

Although all of my recent Christmas-themed posts may make it seem like I haven't been reading anything lately, I actually have. Here's the brief recap:

Just before Christmas I finished Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I've heard of so many people who love this book, and although I did like it a lot, I'm not entirely sure what all of the fuss is about. I thought it was extremely well written, and it kept me interested throughout the many generations covered in this sweeping book, but that can be said about other family sagas I've read. As I neared the end of the book, I kept waiting for some big revelation that would put the whole preceding book into a new perspective. There is one surprise twist, but it didn't seem like enough to me. A good, interesting, and entertaining book, but not earth-shattering.

I also quickly read through a free advance galley copy that I got for an upcoming YA book called The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. It was a sweet, teenage romantic-drama, but again, nothing earth shattering. I think that will be the first book that I "release" as part of this BookCrossing program that I just found out about.

BookCrossing is a free program that's meant to encourage the sharing of books. It works like this: you read a book, register it online and get a tracking number, then release it into the wild wherever you want. Whoever finds it next can go onto the BookCrossing website and, by looking up the tracking number, can see where the book's been. It seems like the program was designed to promote the spread of literacy and the recycling of books, but I think it just sounds like fun. Who knows if anyone will actually continue the chain with the books they find, but at least this will prompt me to weed through my shelves and part with some of my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails