Tuesday, October 6, 2009

An Arsonist's Guide..

I've looked at An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England countless times at the bookstore, thought about reading it, and then put it down. Now that I've finally read it, I can say that I was smart in passing it up all of those times.


Both the title and the synopsis (the narrator goes to jail for accidentally burning down the Emily Dickinson house; once he's out, more writers' houses mysteriously start burning) made this book seem like it would be quirky and interesting. Instead it was tedious, annoying, and depressing. I disliked practically every character in the book. Eventually, when I got to the point of just reading it to get it over with, I still harbored some hope that the ending would involve some great, Fight Club-esque twist that would make me see the book in a whole new light and love it, but that never happened- the ending was nothing that I couldn't have predicted from the preceding story. Blah all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails