Sunday, September 13, 2009

Rogue Book Club

One of my friends from my book club recently suggested The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe as the next pick for the group to read. It was vetoed, but we both thought that it sounded so good that we decided to strike out on our own and read it as part of a mini, rogue book club made up of just the two of us.

I'm glad we did because it turned out to be such a good book! It follows 5 young women living in New York and working in publishing during the 1950s. It's like a precursor to any modern chick-lit book ever written, but much, much better, with complex characters and an ending that you could never predict.

We had our discussion for this mini-book club over dinner at the Chat'n'Chew, a cute, 50's-ish restaurant near Union Square. It was the perfect place to keep with the tone of the book's era. I'm almost 99% sure that my high opinion of the book had nothing to do with the yummy mac & cheese and red velvet cake that I had there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails